My Music Video

My Website

My Website
Click to access my website

Friday, October 25, 2019

Blog Post 6: My Chosen Track

My Media Shortlist

Above is my media shortlist for songs. I chose the song Superheroes by The Script instead of any of the other songs because I wanted to to create a motivational video that could provide someone for my audience to aspire to. Furthermore, I liked its catchy chorus and emphasis on rhythm, which is important to a pop song.

About the Song
Album Cover for 'No Sound Without Silence'
'Superheroes', a song by the Irish band 'The Script', was released in the UK as a part of the album 'No Sound Without Silence' on 31 August, 2014. It was published by Sony Music under the Columbia Records label. The song was was written by Danny O'Donoghue and Mark Sheehan, the lead vocalist and guitarist of the band, as well as James Barry, a producer of the song. Fans could access the song through multiple digital platforms, such as Spotify, iTunes and Amazon, Deezer and YouTube. Its album rocketed to the top of album charts in Ireland and the UK, receiving high praise from all around.






This was their old website promoting their album "No Sound Without Silence" when it came out in 2014

What is "Superheroes" About?
Danny O'Donoghue described it as a "really super positive song" about "unsung heroes". The idea came from the energy of doing tours, inspired by many people they have met over the years. Their idea of superheroes is "Everybody from single mothers, to parents, teachers". They even talk about "people being bullied and sold to the sex slave trade" because they stay strong willed despite their situation. They also said another reason why they made this song was that “It’s nice to have an escape but it’s also nice to have a song that empowers them a little bit."  So this song is made to inspire and motivate, telling people that "If you’re going through hell, just keep going because you will get out on the other side".

About the Video

Analysis of Cinematography of Live Performance of 'Superheroes'














I interpreted the song lyrics to be very motivational, as it explicitly mentions how a male and female character is "fighting" their way through life. I thought I could base it around a boy and a girl both preparing for a big performance, where they finally break out of their situation. To the right, you can see my interpretations of all the lyrics of the song. I thought the boy could be in a situation inspired by 'Billy Elliot', where he isn't allowed to become a ballet dancer, as it is a relevant topic currently about breaking gender roles and gender specific activities. The girl could be doing busking on the streets, which is done to contrast to the boys situation, but I can still draw parallels in narrative across both narratives to suggest that anyone can achieve what they want if they stay strong.
The music video for the song 'Superheroes' takes place in Johannesburg, South Africa. It depicts a father being a role model for his daughter, dressing up in a suit for her to make her proud. In reality, he works on a landfill site, scavenging for objects and valuable resources, bringing home a toy for his daughter. This story differs from my narrative as it only focuses on one person, and on the idea of staying strong despite your situation. My narrative on the other hand looks at two different characters and how they can achieve great things, even in different situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment