My Music Video

My Website

My Website
Click to access my website

Saturday, October 26, 2019

Blog Post 7: My Pop Artist or Band

My Song's Band: The Script
From Left to Right: Glen Power, Mark Sheehan, Danny O'Donoghue

My song was written by an Irish band called 'The Script', who were formed in 2007 in Dublin and has sold over 20 million albums worldwide. It consists on their lead vocalist: Daniel O'Donoghue, lead guitarist: Mark Sheehan and drummer/bassist: Glen Power. In 2007, they were signed to Sony Music's Phonogenic Records. They have won three Meteor Ireland Music Awards, two World Music Awards and received two Brit Award nominations.

Artist Inspiration


My band was inspired by Just Seconds Apart. They also have a three person band, with one person as the lead singer/guitarist, one person as the bassist and one person as the drummer. I want to have a similar structure, except there will be a lead singer and a lead guitarist. Since they're triplets, they also have family values in their brand image, and I want to have a similar inclusive brand image as well.
Just Seconds Apart's Instagram - It is filled with band photos, photos with fans, candid shots, and professional photos, which creates a personal journal feel
I'm also inspired by Ed Sheeran, because he has a strong social responsibility, promoting charities for people to donate to. I think having strong values like Ed will help anchor my brand image, so I will put lots of emphasis on specific charities that I think are important.

Case Study: Shawn Mendes




Pop stars are typically represented as attractive, charming characters who are made to be the perfect friend or partner. They will usually be relatable, portraying themselves as very human, being considerate about their fans. Shawn Mendes achieves this through his social media. Although he is presented as a conventionally attractive man on all his promotional media, his Instagram draws attention away from himself and more on what he is doing. This way, he achieves a journal-style feed which may gratify people's need for self-identification, feeling special as if they get an exclusive and personal look into Shawn Mendes' life.


Since Asian pop genres are becoming more popular in the western culture, I took some inspiration for my own costume design from some K-pop and C-pop artists and bands. One artist that inspired my look is Justin from the C-pop band NEX7.  He is a Chinese artist that takes the role as the main rapper and lead dancer. I like the idea of dyeing my hair to an unnatural colour as it is commonly seen in K-pop and C-pop artists. Furthermore, I like the minimalist jewellry with the ring and the necklace. However, I would like to incorporate some denim into my own costume since denim is a big part of western fashion.







My band moodboard

I created a moodboard for my band so I can lay out my ideas clearly for the iconography of my artist. I decided to focus on the costume of me, as I am the lead singer and a lot of the camera focus would be on me. In addition, I could use my moodboard to help describe ideas to others who are unfamiliar with my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment